Thursday 1 September 2016

Paddy's River Falls, Tumbarumba, NSW

A powerful plunge waterfall (18m, 60') near Tumbarumba.
Notes: This waterfall is tucked away, on the desolate and lonely road that was cut to the hydro-power stations and Kiandra. I love the way the cliff face here has been gradually cut away. I took these pictures (in 2016) after heavy rain and the falls were thundering. There was a lot of silt in the water. This is one of those really old reserves, with the fences you really do not want to lean on. There are almost no warning signs. The lower cascades were superb and quite dangerous. The water turns a bend from this fall and goes down a natural drain hole. It looked like a whirlpool was forming above it. Two small side sprays produce different flow characteristics (and, perhaps more filtered water) compared to the main flow which is carrying some silt due to the upstream flooding.

I lived at Tumba for years, we used to come swimming here under the waterfall in summer. Both my parents taught at the local schools. My dad used to bring me here, on our way up to do cross country skiing. It was a long road trip, and snow closed roads at the top of the mountains did not help. Calling in to see the waterfall on the way was a nice tonic. I remember it as a great place to swim, and lovely at the base of the falls. I guess that these days, with this one, I would be a little more wary of what might be coming over the top.













Location:


Back to Australian waterfalls and cascades page

No comments: