Friday 25 April 2014

The Deua - Northern reaches - Shoalhaven River

The Deua is a vast ancient wilderness area in South East Australia.

From surrounding escarpments it drops away into deep sunken forests.  

My first contact with the Deua was back in late 2002 fighting a bush-fire along the top of the western escarpment.  At night we looked down into burning forests that seemed to stretch to the horizon - watching as fires raced up nearby hills and exploded into the sky.  I still have nightmares about the ancient forests burning, even though I understand how fire is an essential part of the way these forests renew.

Northern Reaches

In the North, the park borders the Shoalhaven River below Braidwood.


Walking trails take you from a camping ground across the river.  The water is usually a safe knee-deep and the footing is firm.


(To read on and see more pictures - press "Read more" below)


The walks will take you through a series of distinctly different eucalyptus forests.  You will see Banksias, StringybarkBlack AshMonkey GumMessmate and White Ash.  You will also encounter swamp wallabies, kangaroos, rosellas, black cockatoos and fly catchers.  Take water and keep hydrated (particularly in Summer).   There are plenty of sheltered places to stop and snack along the way - so take a (light) picnic if you are going for the longer walk.


Camping ground to the 'Big Hole'

The path starts in eucalyptus forests.  The path from the camping ground to the sink hole is about 1.5kms (with a rise of 100m).

At the start of the walk, the track will take you to the Shoalhaven River which you will have to wade through  (be prepared to stop at that point if the river is in flood or the crossing is unsafe).  Near the end of the walk, you will emerge from the forests into heath land dominated by dwarf She Oaks - Allocasuarina Nana.

At the end of the walk is a sinkhole, the "Big Hole".  It is a massive 90-100m (300') deep.  A forest of tree ferns can be seen growing at the bottom.

Allow 1-2 hours for a walk to the Big Hole.  The round trip is about 3 kms.





The 'Big Hole' to the 'Marble Arch'

From the hole, a walk of a further 4-5 kms will take you to the Marble Arch.  Initially the path drops 40m to cross the Bettowynd Fire Trail.  It then slowly climbs through a series of gentle rises and falls to the top of the escarpment over the Reedy Creek.  From there, a sharp drop of about 100m (350 steps) takes you to the Marble Arch complex.

At this point Reedy Creek cuts its way through a limestone canyon. In the canyon is a cave complex.  Some of the cave - made of marble - has partly collapsed.

Allow 5-7 hours for a walk from the camping ground to the Big Hole and on to the Marble Arch.  The round trip from camping ground to Marble Arch and back is about 13kms.  It includes a number of climbs and drops that should be taken carefully.

You do not need lights for the cave complex - simply wait in the darker parts of the cave for a couple of minutes for your eyes to adapt.  The main cave follows the creek path - over uneven rock strewn ground - with plenty of side and top openings to allow light to penetrate into the the cave.  At the far end it opens into a deep fern covered canyon that travels on to a waterfall.  Plenty of places to slip or strain an ankle - so take it easy (I had to carry someone with a strained ankle out of such a canyon - an incredibly difficult exercise).












Location




Peter Quinton
Palerang
April 2014


ps.  Thanks to +Belinda Karmel for giving me a small shove on this one :)



37 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure the place you are getting your information, however great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning much more or
figuring out more. Thank you for magnificent information I used to be on the lookout for this info for
my mission.

Peter Quinton said...

Thanks Anonymous :)
I live quite close to the Deua and spend a bit of time in the park - so most of this is based on observation.
This is remote and inaccessible country, out of range of the bush walkers who teach us so much about the parks closer to Sydney and Melbourne. A lot of the country has not felt footfall for 150 years.

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right.
This post truly made my day. You can not imagine
simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

If some one wishes expert view on the topic
of blogging after that i advise him/her to pay a quick visit this blog, Keep up the pleasant
work.

Anonymous said...

Oi , tudo bem ? É claro que você está compartilhando dados
importantes , isso é bom , continue escrevendo.

Peter Quinton said...

Obrigado por seu apoio

Anonymous said...

Bom dia ! Este é meu 1º comentario aqui, então eu
só queria dar um alô rápido e dizer que eu realmente curto ler
seus posts . Você pode sugerir algum outro blog/site/fórum que fale os mesmos assuntos ?
Obrigado !!

Anonymous said...

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is
time to be happy. I have read this submit and if I may
just I wish to recommend you few fascinating things or
advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles
referring to this article. I desire to learn even more things about it!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I just wish to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great info you
have got here on this post. I am coming back to your website for more soon.

Anonymous said...

I always emailed this webpage post page to all
my associates, for the reason that if like to read it then my friends will too.

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this site.

It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance.
I must say you've done a amazing job with
this. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome.
Outstanding Blog!

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site via my cousin. I'm no longer positive
whether or not this post is written through him as nobody else understand such particular
approximately my trouble. You are incredible!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Verdade seja dita, este é o melhor site que trata sobre este assunto .
muito show !

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than three hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made
good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?

I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot
of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome weblog!

Anonymous said...

Hi my loved one! I want to say that this article is amazing,
nice written and include almost all vital infos.
I'd like to look more posts like this .

Anonymous said...

What's up, the whole thing is going fine here and ofcourse every one is
sharing facts, that's really good, keep up writing.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, Ӏ mᥙst saу. Rarеly ⅾo I encounter a blog tһat's Ьoth equally educative and engaging, and ԝithout
а doubt, үou have hit tһе nail on the head.
Тһе issue is ɑn issue that too few folks аre speaking intelligently abоut.
Noᴡ i'm ѵery һappy that Ι came acrosѕ thiѕ in my search for sοmething
concerning this.

Anonymous said...

Hola mu linda nota, parece que don bing me trajo exactamente
a la info que estaba buscando, trabajo como coach de
clinicas dentales y espero regresar proximamente, me
apunto a ver las nuevasnotas, gracias Buena nota

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its genuinely amazing piece of writing,
I have got much clear idea concerning from this piece of writing.

Anonymous said...

Nice answer back in return of this issue with solid arguments and telling everything concerning
that.

Anonymous said...

Hey are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the
blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own. Do
you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Peter Quinton said...

I use Blogger for this site. Wordpress is a good solid site, but for people starting out i would encourage them to start with Blogger and get a feel for what they need before moving to a paid service.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

What's up everybody, here every person is sharing such knowledge, so it's pleasant to read this webpage,
and I used to pay a quick visit this weblog everyday.

Anonymous said...

Nice response in return of this question with solid arguments
and describing all on the topic of that.

Anonymous said...

I got this website from my friend who informed me
on the topic of this site and at the moment this time I am visiting this site and reading very informative posts
here.

Anonymous said...

fantastic points altogether, you simply won a emblem new reader.

What could you recommend in regards to your submit that you simply made a few days ago?
Any sure?

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative.
I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if
you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited
from your writing. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be precisely what I'm looking
for. can you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?

I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you
write concerning here. Again, awesome web site!

Peter Quinton said...

Thanks for the suggestion, how would you like me to contact you to discuss?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this
post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have
a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful web site. A lot of useful info here.
I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you in your effort!

Anonymous said...

A person necessarily assist to make severely posts
I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point?
I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual submit extraordinary.
Fantastic process!

Anonymous said...

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills
as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid
theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like
this one today.

Anonymous said...

The portal is giving to its clients many of the authentic information to
help them to play bingo in their own personal fashion. Sportwetten bonus will be the profit that online bookies want to present to their members.
The following paragraph will explain much about some advices and tips for the ones from serious bettors.

Anonymous said...

You're so cool! I don't suppose I've truly read through anything like that before.
So good to discover somebody with some original
thoughts on this issue. Really.. many thanks for starting this up.
This web site is one thing that's needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!