Monday 17 August 2015

Clipper - cross section

I love building models - but they can take years to finish.

During the colder months, I can spend a little time working on them. Many years ago I started to build a very large model of the Cutty Sark from local timber. The plans I had were pretty poor in relation to the above deck detail, so I diverted to a work on a wooden cross section of the clipper (produced by IMAI) to better understand how to complete the larger model. The Cutty Sark was iron framed boat clad with wood, here the cross section I am building shows the main mast area with a load of tea sitting on a ballast of rock, with the mast towering above.

Taking pictures can identify areas to work on - here the lower deck load is going to need some straightening :)







By October last year I had completed the frame.


This year I am getting closer to finishing the model.






Peter Quinton
Palerang
August 2015

No comments: